Skip to main content

Just Do It

Are any of you on this "Word for the Year" things? I am not totally die hard about it, but as we have already flown through January, I have made an unofficial one for myself. Well, more of a phrase actually.

Just do it.

Which yes, I know it is the Nike slogan, but I am talking about many things other than running really fast. It plays out in many contexts, which is why I can't really find one other word or phrase to sum it up well. This just fits.

1) Just do those things you keep putting off. Like writing our will. Today, we had our appointment with our lawyer to sign those. They were pretty standard and we know we will need to change some things in 5  years or so, but after three years of saying we should do it, we finally did.

2) Just do those things with your kids. Take 10 minutes to colour a picture with Mataya before you tackle the farm book keeping. Take 15 minutes to read a book with Joash before you clean the bathrooms. Take 5 minutes to give Gideon all of the attention he deserves and is often overlooked (poor third child).

3) Just do those things that help you rest and be a better you. Instead of wasting time on the computer, take 10 minutes to read the book I am currently in. Instead of constantly living with the feeling that "there must be something I should be doing," sit and rest and enjoy those around me.

4) Just do those things that you need to be brave to do. The most challenging thing for me to do often involves putting myself out there for people or interacting with people that I do not know very well. But I am working on courage. I have talked to a few people about mentoring. We have had some of our neighbors that we do not know as well over for Sunday lunch. And so far it has all been so good.

5) Just do those things that fill you up with God's truth. Lately, God has been working on my heart confronting many of the lies that Satan has put there. That I am not good enough, brave enough, doing enough. That those people always do that, say that, don't know what they are doing, shouldn't be allowed to do that. And the only way to combat these lies to be filled up with the truth of God. I have a pretty good habit of doing devotions, but those often don't really include a lot of scripture reading. But that is where the truth of God is found and I have got to read it for myself. I recently discovered She Reads Truth which I love because it is an easy way to read scripture. I have also added some Christian non-fiction to my reading and it has been refreshing and encouraging. A few favourites that I have recently are Lets's All Be Brave and Bread and Wine.

6) Just do those things cause you give thanks. Noticing and acknowledging are a big part of this. Having my eyes and heart open to the little things of day that give me joy and then acknowledging those things to God in a short prayer have helped the day stay centered and joyful

7) Just give yourself grace. Can I be the first to say I still fail miserably at this every day? I still lose my temper with my kids. I still am selfish. I still put things off. But there is grace and that is really the only way to live life

I hope I can continue to just do it throughout this year.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Wind Blows in Sleeping Grass by Katie Powner

A fter years of drifting, fifty-year-old Pete Ryman has settled down with his potbellied pig, Pearl, in the small Montana town of Sleeping Grass--a place he never expected to see again. It's not the life he dreamed of, but there aren't many prospects for a high-school dropout like him. Elderly widow Wilma Jacobsen carries a burden of guilt over her part in events that led to Pete leaving Sleeping Grass decades ago. Now that he's back, she's been praying for the chance to make things right, but she never expected God's answer to leave her flat on her face--literally--and up to her ears in meddling. When the younger sister Pete was separated from as a child shows up in Sleeping Grass with her eleven-year-old son, Pete is forced to face a past he buried long ago, and Wilma discovers her long-awaited chance at redemption may come at a higher cost than she's willing to pay. I really enjoyed this book. The characters in it were interesting and unique. While some thing

This Is Where It Ends by Cindy K. Sproles

When Minerva Jane Jenkins was just fourteen years old, she married a man who moved her to the mountains. He carried with him a small box, which he told her held gold. And when he died fifty years later, he made her promise to tell no one about the box or the treasure it contained. Now at ninety-four, Minerva is nearing the end of what has sometimes been a lonely life. But she's kept her promise. Even so, rumors of hidden gold have a way of spreading, and Minerva is visited by a reporter, Del Rankin, who wants to know more of her story. As an unlikely friendship develops, Minerva is tempted to reveal her secret to Del. But the truth of what's really buried in the box may be hidden even from her. I really enjoyed this book. It is quality historical fiction with a strong narrative voice. I really liked the characters and it was interesting to see how all of the secrets they carried with them affected them. I enjoyed the relationships between the characters and how the setting was

The Best Summer of Our Lives by Rachel Hauck

  Twenty years ago, the summer of '77 was supposed to be the best summer of Summer Wilde's life. She and her best friends, Spring, Autumn, and Snow--the Four Seasons--had big plans. But those plans never had a chance. After a teenage prank gone awry, the Seasons found themselves on a bus to Tumbleweed, "Nowhere," Oklahoma, to spend eight weeks as camp counselors. All four of them arrived with hidden secrets and buried fears, and the events that unfolded in those two months forever altered their friendships, their lives, and their futures. Now, thirtysomething, Summer is at a crossroads. When her latest girl band leaves her in a motel outside Tulsa, she is forced to face the shadows of her past. Returning to the place where everything changed, she soon learns Tumbleweed is more than a town she never wanted to see again. It's a place for healing, for reconciling the past with the present, and for finally listening to love's voice. This was an enjoyable book to r